16.6.10

the eyes have it...

Today is the day I see the world anew.
Literally.

I'm scheduled to undergo corrective laser eye surgery this afternoon. After 35 years of wearing glasses, this represents a BIG change in my life. I am excited... and scared... and apprehensive... and giddy... all that, and more. Unless you've lived a life of blurr and have depended on an external accessory to function in the world, I'm not sure you can fully understand. And that's OK. I've never even worn contact lenses. Not a once. The very idea of sticking my finger in my eye on a daily basis just never appealed to me. Go figure.

As I allow myself to imagine life without glasses, I feel compelled to honour the role they have played. In fact, I kinda wish I had kept them all, as a "this-is-your-life-in-glasses" type thing... then I could hold a thank you & farewell celebration for them ALL!

Ah, glasses... you were:
resented as a child
in the way as a teenager
appreciated and accessorized as an adult
always, and always, miraculous.

As I get closer to the moment of clear, un-aided, eyesight, I offer you a heartfelt "see you later" and a few glimpses into "this-was-my-life-in-glasses".

My first year with glasses - 9 yrs old

Same frame, cooler confidence... 12 yrs

Ahh yesss, the 1980's... high school grad pic

Late 1980's, when lens makers must have charged by surface area... University grad pic

Skipping the wide variety of round, metal frames (mostly due to lack of e-photos) and getting to the uber-chic stage

Who would think that a piece of plastic, distorted to the perfect degree, could become such a part of me, helping to shape my identity? Who will I be without glasses?! I'm trusting that I will continue to be...

-simply jag

2 comments:

  1. I usually just lurk here, but I'm popping in to wish you well. I've worn glasses since 4th grade (must have worse vision than yours though as my lenses would have been much too thick with frames as large as yours!). I've thought about inquiring about laser surgery but those thoughts only last moments. As bad as my vision is, I know that with glasses I can still see (mostly) and the uncertainty of the surgery brings me up short.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply beautiful! Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Followers